Error when I run - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Hello,

I extracted the tool, and ran on a MOSS App Server, and I receive the following error:

System.NullRefereceExeception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Community.SharePoint.Utilities.Branding.BrandingToll.FillSitesCombo().

Any Suggestions? Looks like initialization issue.

Any specific requirements to run this tool?

Please suggest.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Try running it in the MOSS Web Front End.

That error points to a possible error raised from a call to the SharePoint API:

SPWebService.ContentService.WebApplications

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Hi

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, Actually, I am running on the MOSS WEB Front End Server, our environment is 2 server farm, 1 WFE / App Server and 1 DB Server. So, I am guessing, I may need to install MOSS SDK or something (SharePoint API) to run this Tool. Am I right? If so, could you please throw some light on pre requisites to run this tool.

Please suggest.

Regards,Kishore

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM

You do not need to download any SDK. The fact that there were no errors on assemblies not found means all the dll's you need are installed.

The issue maybe with what the API is returning. It is however quiet hard for me to  find out what the issue is. The only other thing I can think of is to try running the application under an account with priviledges to modify sites (preferablly farm admin). Try that and see how you go.

Are you able to provide more information on your enviroment like if it has any site collections and sharepoint web applications, version of SharePoint you are running, version of Windows you are running, the locale of your environment, the version of the tool you are using, are there currently any working SharePoint sites configured? Is there any other information that you could provide me on the error? ie like a screen shot of the error?

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Dougleung,

Yes, you are right, it was the permission issue. I am able to run it now. Thank you.

I am looking for changing colors in the custom theme I created, any pointers.

Regards,Kishore Dodda.