How to use on Mysites

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:21 AM
Hi,
I was wondering how to use this on mysites.

I want to update the masterpage on all the mysites but if I use _catalogs/masterpage/something.master I get an error saying the file cannot be found.

If I use the personal/username/_catalogs/masterpage/something.master then everything works fine but this means I would have to update each mysite individually. That's not what I was looking for.

Is there a way to update a batch of mysites??

Regards

Robert Graauw 
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2008 at 12:47 AM
My Sites are a little different my friend. As what you have said have hinted, each personal My Site is a separate site collection, hence when the user creates a new MySite, the master page in the location you've specified will not exist.

Instead what you need to for the themes and master pages to be applied automatically, is to create a feature that swaps master pages around. Use a feature staplee and feature stapler and attach the feature to the MySite site templates - that way when a new personal mysite is created, the master page will be automatically swapped around.

This tool is used usually on static pages or when you need to change themes by bulk. I used it for mysites when I was writing up the master page - its more convenient to change master pages using this tool, and that is where it sits.

Hope this helps.